En la página web de la revista The Wire han colgado la entrevista íntegra que el periodista Philip Sherburne hizo a Carl Craig para el invisible jukebox del número de este mes. La entrevista es bastante más larga que la editada y publicada, quedando algunos fragmentos bastante jugosos.

Horsepower Productions
"Gorgon Sound"
FROM GORGON SOUND/TRIPLE 7 (TEMPA) 2000

I don't know this one.

It's Horsepower Productions, from the Tempa label — the first wave of Dubstep. I chose it in part because although it's mostly dub based, I can hear something Detroitish in their harmonic sensibilities. Do you follow Dubstep?

Not actively, no. I had this really intense conversation with a guy at Rush Hour records in Amsterdam, a guy that was shopping there. He was almost, he was trying to force me to like Dubstep. You know, to just — to just tell him that I thought it was amazing. I was like, "I don't even know!" I know what Dubstep is but I don't know much of the music. He's like, "Ok, listen to this!" And the track that he played was a really boring dub reggae-ish record. Dub is great for three minutes each track. But 10 minutes, it's like, what the fuck is this? I like music. I don't care if it's Techno or House or dub reggae or Trance… Ok, I do kinda there. But if it's a good track, that's what I'm interested in. I don't care what style it is. If fucking Britney Spears makes a track that's good, I'm gonna like it.

If you win this Grammy you'll be remixing her stuff. Well, if she makes any more music, which is another question.

Mmm, maybe. If she got a hundred grand! [Laughs]

I saw Skream last night, and it reminded me of the power of a good DJ, simply because I don't know the genre inside and out, and he made sense of it, made it sound really fresh and varied. When you don't know a genre, you need a DJ to act as a guide. It's a cliché, but Skream really told a story.

I haven't heard him play before. And what Diplo does is considered what?

Diplo is sort of related to the next track, so I'll play it anyway.

I played with him before, and he plays really electro-y, like old-school electro. At least that set was. I know that stuff that he did for M.I.A.


Ghislain Poirier
"Blazin' feat. Face-T (Modeselektor Remix)"
FROM INTERNET RELEASE (BIG DADA) 2008

These are Germans remixing a guy from Montreal.

Who is it?

Modeselektor remixing Ghislain Poirier.

Ok.

This seems to be a new mode of post-Techno, sort of what Diplo is doing: an omnivorous free-for-all, everyone putting their beats up online and remixing everybody else.

[Virtual silence from Craig]

Me parece particularmente interesante la respuesta al segundo corte. Actualmente tenía pensado escuchar el disco de este año de Ghislain Poirier ya que según el periodista Sasha Frere Jones, es uno de los representantes del “lazer bass”, entre los que se cuentan también, por lazos directos, Rustie o Hudson Mohawke, que según Martin Clark representan el sonido wonky. A decir verdad llevo unos cuantos meses tratando de colocarlos en algún sitio más allá de sus influencias más o menos claras (el hip-hop abstracto de hace unos años) pero sólo se me ocurren clichés sobre la sociedad de la información.

0 comentarios:

Archivo del blog